Membership FAQs

What is the basis of the ECOG-ACRIN membership program?

Membership in the ECOG-ACRIN Cancer Research Group (ECOG-ACRIN) is institution-based. It is closely associated with institutional membership in the National Cancer Institute (NCI), both through its National Clinical Trials Network (NCTN) and NCI Community Oncology Research Program (NCORP). Individuals do not apply for membership.

Is ECOG-ACRIN accepting new members?

Yes, we welcome new member institutions in all categories.

What are the different types of ECOG-ACRIN membership for my site/institution?

Visit the Types of Membership section to learn which category is right for your site.

What does my site need BEFORE I fill out a membership application?

  1. FWA (Federalwide Assurance) Number. This is an identification from the U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services. It is a formal, written promise that you will use reputable Institutional Review Boards (IRBs) to oversee all your research. You can obtain one here.
  2. CTEP Site Code. This code is assigned by the NCI Cancer Therapy and Evaluation Program (CTEP) and is unique to each site. You will need to provide your FWA Number to complete the application for a CTEP site code. The NCI Enterprise Core Unit is responsible for the generation of all new site codes. To contact their help desk, send an email or call 703-738-9166.

Where can I get an application for institutional membership?

Currently, the best way for sites to express interest is to send an email directly to the Membership Department.

Do physicians and staff need to register with the NCI before we begin the application?

Yes. All persons involved in NCI-sponsored cancer clinical trials must register with CTEP and obtain an identification number (CTEP ID).

Does my site need to be enrolled in the National Cancer Institute Central Institutional Review Board (NCI CIRB) to participate in ECOG-ACRIN trials?

Yes. all sites wishing to enroll participants in ECOG-ACRIN trials must be a member of NCI CIRB. Please visit for more information.

Do individuals also have to submit a membership application?

No, membership in ECOG-ACRIN is institution-based. However, all individuals within member institutions must submit a Roster Update Form and keep their information current.

How do individuals within member institutions gain access to ECOG-ACRIN?

Follow the steps in the Members: Connect with Us section.

How do physicians and staff become federally approved for research?

First, obtain a CTEP ID. This requires all research personnel (including physicians) to set up an online CTEP-IAM (Identity and Access Management) account here.

Some personnel must also register with the NCI Registration and Credentialing Repository (RCR) as an Investigator (IVR), Non-Physician Investigator (NPIVR) or Associate Plus (AP). Instructions:

  • Physicians should register as an Investigator
  • Any staff registering patients on a clinical trial, or entering data must register as an Associate Plus
  • Staff needing access to Medidata Rave® as a CRA or Registrar must register as an Associate Plus
  • Persons registering with CTEP as an Associate do not need to register in RCR
  • For detailed instructions, visit the NCI’s RCR Online Help
  • Register here
ECOG-ACRIN Cancer Research Group